Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Four Things Young Leaders Must Do to Effectively Lead Older Generations

The Four Things Young Leaders Must Do to Effectively Lead Older Generations: When I first became a department manager at 25 years old, everyone on my staff was at least 10 years older than me.   Thankfully, my parents taught me as a young boy how to effectively communicate with older people.  The first 15 years of my career I was faced with leading older generations.  How could I earn the respect and get ?buy-in? from those who didn?t always enjoy getting direction from a leader who was (in some cases) as old as their own children?    Managing older generations at work requires patience, the ability to listen carefully, and the knowledge that you must learn the old ways of doing things before you can apply your new ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment