Tuesday, November 15, 2011

3 Mistakes That Block Career Bliss (and My 52 Biggest Mistakes)

3 Mistakes That Block Career Bliss (and My 52 Biggest Mistakes): Serving as a career coach and trainer, I see thousands of professionals making the same mistakes, over and over, not knowing how to reverse their negative patterns.  These mistakes are common but highly destructive, and can lead to your waking up in midlife scratching your head about how you arrived in a career you hate (that hates you back).
I have to admit that I’ve made many of these mistakes myself, and then some (for more about my story, check out Breakdown Breakthrough).  Last year, I was speaking with a new friend, Justin Krane, about my career trajectory, and he asked if I’d share my top ten business mistakes.  That got me thinking…
I decided then to come clean with My 52 Mistakes in life and work.  (Here’s the original list).  A quick word about “mistakes” – I believe it’s important to openly share our mistakes – not so that we can beat ourselves up about how we’ve blown it, but to heal, learn and grow.  And to remind you that you’re not alone in the mistakes you’ve made.
As I review My 52 Mistakes now and distill them down to their essence, I see three fundamental missteps people take that keep them from the experience of fulfillment, success and satisfaction they long for.    
The 3 Biggest Mistakes People Make… 
1. Waiting and waiting for a miracle, and resisting what is
In our culture and society, it seems we have confused dogged individualistic determination with an inability to face reality.  Many of us have been suckered into believing the myth, “Build It and They Will Come” – the idea that if we believe in something hard enough, it simply must come to pass.  Well, it’s not true.  That behavior is what author Maria Nemeth in her great book The Energy of Money calls “metafizzling.”  I’m sorry folks, but we’re not in control of everything that happens to us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment